Pageviews last month

Monday, December 26, 2011

War Horse, Vivian Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center, Broadway

In August, I had the opportunity to see War Horse at Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater. I was looking forward to it both because of the wonderful word-of-mouth, amounts of awards and praise heaped upon the production, and also because of my love for puppetry. I got a seat in the first row by the stage, and I was not disappointed.  I thought that the show was quite spectacular and very heartwarming, showcasing the deep bond between a British farm boy and the horse he has raised and trained that can be hard to explain to people who have not experienced that bond or attraction themselves.

The other theme that War Horse movingly depicts is the depraved inhumanity of war, where humans get caught performing savagely and inhumanely, even if that is not their true nature. Peter Hermann's portrayal of a German officer who realizes the error of his ways and develops a conscience was well-written and well-acted.  I strongly urge everyone who hasn't seen it yet to hurry to Lincoln Center. There is a major cast change happening in January, so there are only a few weeks left to catch the original cast. The cast is quite large, but they form a cohesive ensemble, with many actors playing multiple roles. Watching the puppeteers perform the horses as a cohesive unit is a highlight of my theatregoing experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment