Pageviews last month

Saturday, January 8, 2011

How Do You Know?

I figured I would post some movie reviews here as well, mix it up a little bit. I often see movies on Sunday afternoons, because I don't have to put as much planning into it as I do with seeing plays and finding affordable tickets. Plus movies make for better conversation since, on average, people see more movies than they do plays.

Last Sunday, I saw How Do You Know?, created by James L. Brooks. The movie was actually fairly disappointing. We barely saw Reese Witherspoon play softball, for all the media attention about it. We didn't see Owen Wilson play baseball at all. I expected more to happen in the movie, the stakes just didn't feel high enough.  Even the plot of Paul Rudd facing prison time due to his father's actions felt muddled and not serious.  Most of the actors appear to be walking through the film, although Paul Rudd puts some effort into his performance, and Kathryn Hahn is quite funny as Paul Rudd's pregnant and devoted assistant. This movie could have been so much better than what it was. Rudd and Witherspoon have some nice chemistry in a scene or two. The film also seems to end quite abruptly, it could have used another scene or two.  Overall, a very disappointing film and not really worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment