Pageviews last month

Monday, May 30, 2011

True Grit

I enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would, as it is the first Coen Brothers film which I actually watched.  Halle Steinfeld is great as Maddie, the straight-laced, no-nonsense 14 year old who is overseeing her late father’s affairs. Dakin Matthews has a great bit role as a horse trader who’s on the wrong side of a contract with Maddie.  Jeff Bridges gives a great performance as Rooster Cogburn, the drunk, sodden old codger trying to finish his life out with no scruples or regard for personal dignity.  Matt Damon is also good as a Texas Marshall who also lends help and support at times in the pursuit of Josh Brolin as an outlaw wanted for murder.

There is great dramatic tension throughout as to who this ragtag team of people will encounter next and whether they will survive.  There is a scary moment of Maddie being attacked by a rattlesnake in a cave that will lead to her arm being amputated. It was a great Western, showing the thrill of the open road. Made me want to spend more time in this world of the Wild West with lawlessness, outlaws, and crazy gunslingers. I have never really been a fan of Westerns, but this movie did begin to cultivate an interest in them inside me, and I would be interested in exploring more movies within that genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment